Fitness is no joke. It isn’t always easy. And the older we get, the busier we become, making exercise even harder to fit in. Lives full of family, kids, school, jobs, appointments and more can often seem to get in the way of putting our own health and wellness on the top of the list. By the time we’ve worked our way through the long list of responsibilities in life, we need a break!
And, let’s face it-the word ‘workout’ alone doesn’t lend itself fondly to relaxation or fun. Rather, it sounds like just what we don’t need- more ‘work.’ So, what is the secret to staying healthy, happy and motivated-without being ‘weighed down?’ Here are some fool-proof tips to moving wellness to the top of your list- in the simplest, most painless way.
Fitness 101: Tips for Staying Active & Motivated
- Take a breather. Relax and be in the moment. Take time out to revamp, refresh and refuel., while finding your focus through meditation, yoga, dance, a favorite hobby, a good book-or just closing your eyes for a moment. Don’t forget to breathe.
- Think happy thoughts. It may be cliché, but a healthy mind makes for a healthy body. Get rid of mental ‘clutter’ with positive thinking. Stimulate your mind and keep it active through learning new things and maintaining a ‘sunny’ perspective. Warning, happy thoughts are contagious.
- Do the math. Get to know your ‘health’ numbers and why they are important. Take that trip to the doctor you’ve been putting off and get in touch with what’s happening beneath the surface. Ask about age-related tests you should be having, keep track of your blood pressure and cholesterol and maintain a healthy weight.
- Go green. Here’s some food for thought: Adding just a ½ cup of ‘greens’ to your daily platter can help improve your memory, prevent cancers, build stronger bones, promote heart health, induce better eyesight and increase your body’s ability to absorb dietary fat.
- Make plans. Get up, get out and go! Instead of kicking it on the couch, try something new. Re-discover your own city by becoming a tourist for a day. Then, you can hike, bike, fish, roller blade, go ‘geo-caching,’ take a class, have lunch in the park or fly a kite. There’s so much to do!
- Grab your partner. The fun things are more fun, and the hard things become easier with a friend. A ‘health’ partner will help motivate and inspire you. Share your goals and help keep each other honest. The rewards will be twice as nice.
- Mix it up. Variety is the spice of life, right? So add some creative touches to yours! Exposure to new and different things is not only exciting, but a healthy practice. It will help keep your mind fresh and your body moving.
- Get busy living….I think we all know how this one ends. If you really want to get the most out of life, quality is a must. Feeling great, looking fit and having the ability and energy to participate fully in the things that interest you adds up to quality living.
It’s true, fitness can be a challenge at any age or stage of life. By utilizing some simple, painless tips for optimizing wellness, you can trade in an average life for a really great one. Here’s to your health!